Margaret Markham Casey
Ms. Margaret Casey has extensive experience in the areas of family law, domestic relations law and juvenile law. Ms. Casey is a Certified Guardian ad Litem, and has considerable experience representing children and incompetent persons. She also works with small business issues and general civil litigation. Ms. Casey handles criminal and traffic charges in the Municipal, District and Civil Courts of Shelby and Jefferson Counties and the surrounding areas. Ms. Casey began her legal career in 2004 after a successful 25 year career in the private corporate sector. The current focus of her practice areas are family, domestic and juvenile law, in both civil and criminal cases.
In addition to her legal practice, Ms. Casey is listed on the Roster of Mediators with the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution; she mediates in the areas of Business Disputes; Civil Litigation; Child Support; Child Custody; Divorce/Domestic Relations, including having had Domestic Violence Training; Post Divorce Issues; Parenting Coordination; Child Relocation; Estate Administration; Probate Property Division; Wills and Estates. As of 2019, Ms. Casey’s mediation registration has been expanded to also include Appellate Mediation.
Ms. Casey is also certified as a Parenting Coordinator/Decision Maker (PCDM) and works with parents to facilitate the resolution of high conflict parenting issues in post divorce and blended families. She concentrates her resources in this area with the focus of bringing stability and strength to the family unit.
As a result of her vast personal, professional and legal experience, Ms. Casey is skilled in both litigation and alternative dispute resolution. The counties in her practice area are primarily the counties of Shelby, Jefferson, St. Clair, Bibb, Chilton and Tuscaloosa.
Areas of Practice
- 45% Domestic Relations, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support
- 25% Child and Juvenile Court matters
- 10% Criminal Matters, including Municipal Court cases
- 10% Probate Court Matters
- 5% General Business Matters
- 5% General Civil Litigation
- Alabama State Bar – Admitted to practice September, 2004
- Birmingham School of Law, Juris Doctor Degree, May, 2004
- Judson College, Bachelor of Science Degree, June, 1977,
- Major: Business Administration
- Minors: Political Science and Piano